This is your opportunity to join our team as our Digital Marketing Assistant here in beautiful Bali. Whilst the initial integration period will last for 6 months, we are looking for someone who can join our team and become a force in helping to grow the Melon brand long-term. In time this position may turn into a location independent role meaning that you would be able to work from wherever you would like.
Who are we?
We set up Melon in 2013 with the aim to create the world’s best custom eyewear brand experience. Almost five years later we continue to create exceptional custom sunglasses, snow goggles and MTB/MX goggles, whilst continually evolving to stay ahead of the curve.
From the beaches of Bali to the mountains of France with the UK, Portugal and the Philippines thrown in on the way, we’re a lean global team on a mission to build a truly global brand. Whilst we work hard, we balance it with the things we love (surfing and snowboarding, to name a few) and try the best we can to merge the lines of where work starts and play ends.
Straight up, we are a unique brand to work for and not the right fit for everyone. But, if you like what you hear so far, read on to see if we’re a good fit.
What’s the work like?
You’re going to help drive our digital marketing efforts. The digital marketing space is continuously changing at a rapid rate. What works today may not work tomorrow. You’ll be optimising and developing what works right now whilst keeping a watchful eye on evolving trends in the digital marketing space.
You’re going to be working on our social media strategy. From Facebook live to Instagram stories and everything in between, social is how we engage with our community. Whether it’s product demos or video content from our ambassadors, You’ll be helping to ensure we offer the best possible social experience for our followers and exploring new ways we can reach new and existing fans.
You’re going to be working on our email marketing. Some people may say email is dead but we believe it’s very much still alive. You’ll help to identify best ways we can provide value through email to our subscribers and work alongside our designer to create awesome campaigns that people want to tell their friends about.
You’re going to be working on our paid advertising. We use paid advertising i.e. facebook to reach out to new and existing audiences. You’ll be helping to identify new platforms we should be using, what advertised content gives the most value in our prospective customers’ lives and creating convincing adverts that not only make users want to click, but also deliver exactly what the user is looking for.
Where will I be living?
We want the transition to be as easy as possible so we’ll fix you up with a nice space to stay with ensuite bathroom within a few minutes of the beach and surf. Our location is surrounded by insanely good cheap food, yoga places, amazing surf and guaranteed tropical weather everyday, so it’s a pretty rad place to be based.
We know that one of the toughest things about moving somewhere completely new is not knowing where to find things (good places to eat, nightlife, coffee shops, hangout spots etc.) and not knowing anyone. We’ve been out here a while and have that covered, so you’ll flow into things nice and easy. However we’ll also be contributing to a 25 hour monthly plan at a local co-working space so you can easily meet new people and fend a bit for yourself too!
Needless to say, you’ll be living and working closely with us as we grow our brand and marketing efforts. In doing so, you’ll get to learn about the nuts and bolts of a profitable growing business and have access to all the resources that come along with that.
Sounds good! What’s the catch?
Whilst we have a lot of fun doing what we do and see the Melon brand as an extension of our lives, we are at the end of the day a business. Our goal from this position is to gain huge amounts of value from you whilst we integrate you into our business and allow you to prove your worth. Working so closely with us means you will know pretty much everything about our business…that’s quite a bit of trust we’re putting in you and we want to be brutally honest about what you’re getting into from the beginning.
What does our relationship looks like:
You: Our best team-mates have the following traits
- Love to learn and be challenged
- Keep up to date on the ever changing digital marketing space through online resources and podcasts.
- Think data is the coolest thing ever
- Fascinated and respect the complexity of digital marketing
- Believe analytics is the key to managing all the above
- Are obsessed with our customers and providing value at every touchpoint
Us: We are focused on the following
- Providing a remarkable experience across devices and channels for our customers
- Giving our team the autonomy to make decisions
- Holding our people accountable for these decisions and help them learn
- Providing education and resources to our team to all them to become the best they possibly can be.
- Testing, testing, testing!
- Never getting complacent because we know how quick markets and behaviours can change.
Some additional points:
We do ask you to be here with us in Bali the first few months. While the aim is to develop this into a more permanent, location-independent position, we know that working closely together to begin with will help you to become intimately familiar with our business and help us find areas of opportunity.
It’s gonna be hard work. We’ll be requiring you to use some serious brainpower and think outside the box. Some of the tasks will be boring and some may make you uncomfortable to begin with as you push the boundaries of your skill set.
We need you to be ALL IN. We’re looking for someone who wants to create a permanent and valuable position for themselves in our team. Therefore, this shouldn’t be a side project, gap year break or an excuse to hang out out in Bali. We want someone who is committed to growing the Melon brand, who realises the opportunity and growth potential (both personally and financially) that comes with working with us.
You’re not going to make loads of cash to start. You’ll be paid the equivalent of 10.5 million rupiah a month, which is plenty to live on comfortably in Bali (once you take out accommodation) and should allow you to save a bit for trips whilst you’re here. The good news is that most of your living expenses are covered and life is pretty cheap in SE Asia. Being an independent growing business means that we have to control our resources and invest the business’ money wisely. So if you want to earn more, you’ll need to be determined to provide so much value to our team that we can’t afford to lose you!
Sounds awesome! What skills do I need?
We’re looking for a go getter, a visionary and someone who gets things done. We understand that you’re most likely not going to stay with us forever (but maybe you will), but whilst you are with us we want you to share our vision and be passionate about our business.
- You’ve created something. We don’t care what it is, a business, a blog, a race car, a massive Instagram account…we want to see that you are proactive and seeing projects that you’ve worked on in the past helps us to gauge that.
- You get things done. Whilst we will be there to help guide you and integrate you into our team, we don’t want to be constantly micromanaging you. This role in time will offer you a lot of freedom, but will require you to be proactive in starting a job and finishing it.
- You spot opportunities. Everyone sees the world differently and opportunities that may seeming glaringly obvious to one person may fly over another person’s head. We miss opportunities all the time and we want you to be on the lookout for the things we’re missing and capitalise on them.
- You understand the power of connections. You’re not afraid to reach out to people to offer help, ask for help or connect.
- You share our values. Whilst we won’t always agree on everything, we do want the right person for the job to share our values. The way we do business is far from traditional and we want to make sure that you’ll fit in the right way with the team.
- You understand our market. Whilst we’re not saying that you have to surf, snowboard and constantly be travelling, we do expect you to have a good understanding of our market and industry. The fact that most of the team are in our target demographic allows us to keep our eyes on the ball with what is going on in our industry and stay relevant as a brand.
- You’re not afraid to speak up. We want someone who can bring new ideas to the table. These are the things that help us grow. Whilst they may not always be implemented, they will always be listened to and considered.
- Multilingual. Whilst this isn’t an absolute requirement, having the ability to fluently speak and write in another language in addition to english i.e. French, German etc, will be seen as a bonus.
We are looking for people who are open to a different way of life, like to travel and are happy to work remotely. We want someone who is hungry and is prepared to put a lot of time and effort into growing Melon into the best brand it can possibly be. We work hard (really hard) and you’ll need to show a lot of initiative in order to make an impact. The flipside is that we play hard too and working with us will probably be unlike any other company that you have worked for.
We don’t want to oversell this…it is a fantastic opportunity, but we’re really looking for the right person over anything else. If you don’t think you’re qualified, go ahead and apply! You might be surprised and we’ll be reviewing EVERY application.
How do I apply?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Fill out the application form below
- Upload a 3-5 minute YouTube video letting us know who you are and why you would be good at this position (set it as “unlisted” and send us the link via the application form)
The application process is:
Step 1: submit all application material. (Deadline: April 23rd)
Step 2: Review submissions and schedule interview (Early May)
Step 3: Second interview and final decision (Mid May)
Step 4: Apprentice announcement (Late May)
Step 5: Arrive in Bali (June)
If you’re thinking about applying but worried you might not have enough of what we’re looking for – believe us now…you’re better than you think you are! Even if the position may not be the perfect fit for you right now, we’d love to get to know you a little better and we’re sure there will be plenty of opportunities for us to work together in the future.
Want to hear about more opportunities like this? Sign up for our email list!
Not applying but still want to help? Please share this opportunity on Twitter, Facebook, or email with anyone you know that might be a good fit!